The Department for Distance Education (DDE) is a University of Northampton initiative to support the development of expertise in this field of distance education. We support a community of practice, promote collaboration and knowledge-sharing and provide a focus for the development of high-quality teaching and research in open and distance learning throughout the University of Northampton.
To enhance the student experience and improve student achievement through the deployment of open and distance education.
What we do
- coordinate an advocacy and development network in the Member Institutions, Institutes and the Department University raise awareness of and promote discussion about learning and teaching innovation manage the distribution and monitoring of Awards for the University of Northampton
- provide training, knowledge management, development funding and consultancy services
- organising development events including symposia, seminars and conferences
- manage the work of a panel of experts and specialists, to provide recognised expertise of the highest standards.
- promote excellence in teaching that is focused on distance learning
- promote research into distance education within the University of Northampton
- enhance distance learning and its status in higher education
- foster and evaluate pedagogic, technological and organisational innovation
- facilitate dissemination of best practice within the community of Northampton Member Institutions.
Who we are
Our core function is to support the University of Northampton and member institutions by promoting best practice in the distance and open education.
Our flexible approach offers you a range of study options.
You can study by distance and flexible learning, which allows you to combine your studies with work or other commitments.
For many of our undergraduate courses, you may be able to study full-time with local teaching support.
What is distance learning?
Distance learning allows you to study wherever you are, arranging your studies around your work or family life. You learn using study materials and online learning resources that are designed for active learning. You can also connect with other students on your course around the world via your virtual learning environment.
Study independently or with a local teaching centre
Most of our courses are designed to be studied independently. However, if you prefer structured study support, you can attend classes for many of our undergraduate courses at a local teaching centre. Whether you prefer the flexibility of distance learning courses or studying with the support of a Recognised Teaching Centre local to you, you will become a University of Northampton student and join the world class.